A full Service, year round training center, the 185 acre farm in Lone Oak, Texas, about an hour east of Dallas, focuses primarily on the breaking of 2 year olds. The training facility was established in 1981 by Ed and Caroline Dodwell.
Experienced riders and staff offer top notch care at the Diamond D Ranch in all phases of training, sales prep, layups, rehabilitation, boarding and foaling. Today the facility serves customers from 14 racing states across the United States.
The facility can handle up to 190 horses and includes a five furlong track, which is watered and groomed daily and is licensed by the Texas Racing Commission to record official works and gate cards.
The Diamond D Ranch features three barns with a total of 84 stalls, 16 individual paddocks, and 7 pastures. Each barn is equipped with an indoor walker, two indoor wash racks, a vet room, a covered round pen with shredded rubber footing, and "B" barn has a therapy room. The barns have rubber paver block hallways and each 12x12 stall has rubber mats, automatic waters, and automatic fly systems.
With Ed having retired in 2004 and his passing in 2011, his son, Jimmy “Scooter” Dodwell, became the head trainer after serving 17 years of working as his father’s assistant. Scooter, Caroline and Jon , as a team, work together to continue the Diamond D Ranch “Winning Ways”. Jon Newbold, the assistant trainer, brings 37 years of training experience and oversees the day to day operations assisted by Martin Ramirez.
Jon Newbold is on a pony horse for every set that goes to the track to assist young horses. A staff of 20 people keep the operation running smoothly.
The Diamond D program has produced:
28 State bred Champions
327 Stakes Wins
156 Individual Stakes Winners
308 Stakes races combined through July 2013
869 Stakes placed
Several multiple Graded Stakes Winners and placers are: Rachel Alexander, Amie’s Dini, Livi McKenzie, Shesakitty, Morris Code, Rapid Proof, Devious Intent, Gold Edge, Taptam, Flashy Gray and Rapid Proof to name a few.
- Heart to Heart Among Canadian Hall of Fame Inductees
- Forca Brasil Gets Cotai Glory Off the Mark at Newmarket
- Russian Camelot Retired to Stand in Australia
- Keeneland With 66 in April Horses of Racing Age Sale
- Fasig-Tipton Posts Midlantic 2-Year-Olds Catalog Online
- Essential Quality Holds Top Spot on NTRA Poll
- Physiologist Believes Sensors Could Protect Race Horses
- Violence Filly Fastest at OBS Spring Under Tack Opener
- Tattersalls Goresbridge Sale Changes Venue to Newmarket
- T.I.P. Championships to be Oct. 8-10 at Stable View